BIO-WEST seeks a full-time environmental technician for its Coastal Division office in Rosenberg, Texas. Under the direction of project managers, the person in this position will conduct wetland delineations according to the USACE 1987 Wetland Delineation Manual and appropriate regional supplements and conduct various other field efforts to collect and record data and document natural resource conditions. The environmental technician also provides assistance to project managers, writes technical reports, safely operates equipment, and maintains field gear.
Requires BS degree (minimum) from an accredited university in wetland ecology, botany, or other relevant natural resource field.
Requires a minimum of 2 years of experience conducting wetland delineations within the Atlantic and Gulf Coast, Great Plains, and Arid West regions of Texas. Candidate must demonstrate proficiency with the 1987 Corps Wetland Delineation Manual and regional supplements, work independently and as a team member, and have a sound knowledge of local flora and fauna. Duties will include traveling for work, working outdoors, and light office work.
Required skills include:
- ability to identify flora, fauna, and soils of the south and southwest;
- ability to assess habitats for wetland and wildlife values;
- ability to understand and comply with environmental regulations (e.g., NEPA, ESA, CWA), and assist team members and clients with the environmental permitting process;
- knowledge of soils, plants, wildlife and aquatic ecosystems in the southern and southwestern United States;
- excellent written and verbal communication including accurate data collection, technical writing, report preparation, coworker and client communication, giving and following instructions;
- adept computer operator and expert user of MS Office Suite;
- ability to learn to use scientific collection equipment, including accurate data collection, technical writing, report preparation, coworker and client communication, giving and following instructions;
- ability to work effectively (e.g., set tasks and schedules, prioritize work, meet deadlines, stay on budget);
- ability to establish and maintain rapport with coworkers and clients, work as part of a team, work under supervision, and work independently using sound judgment and initiative; and
- ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and work with multiple project managers.
Must possess a valid class C Texas driver’s license.
Position requires employee flexibility and overtime:
- Must be able to conduct field work outside of office hours (8 am–5 pm), including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Must be able to work extensively outdoors in a variety of climates.
- Must be able to travel overnight as needed. Travel may comprise 40% of job.
- Must be able to perform physical labor including repeatedly lifting equipment and other items weighing 50 pounds during the day, potentially outdoors, in the summer.
Submit letter of application, resume, and three professional references to [email protected] by 8/1/2021. No phone calls, please.
You may also need to pass a proficiency exam during the interview process.
Excellent benefits package (PTO, paid holidays, medical and dental insurance, profit sharing, Fidelity 401K, merit bonuses). Pay commensurate with experience/education.